Friday, June 5, 2009

Welcome to the Club

It's always cool to be there when someone hops on bike for the first time(in a long while anyways). Even better when see them realize how cool riding a bike really is. Well, I had that opportunity recently when my friend Sara , after many months of thinking about it , bought a Novarra eXpress.

In case you didn't know, I'm a bit of a bike prostilitizer. I think everybody should be riding bikes...all the time...everywhere. Poor Sara has had to put up with my prodding over the last 6+ months. "You should get a bike". When she finally saw the light it became "Did you get that bike yet?". Apperently, her roommate was working on her too. That's great. Double teaming can be very effective.




In the end, the decision to give cycling a shot, was hers. From what I know of Sara, she is likely to become an avid cyclist, because she doesn't seem to do anything halfway. Last summer, she walked the whole Appalachian Trail by herself! I think she has caught the bicycling bug and said she is "loving it!". I hope she does what a lot us do, and shares that bike joy with others.

4 comments:

anna said...

Great! Although it's difficult to convince people that cycling is safe, fast and good for them, it's so obvious once they just give it a go and try commuting for a little while. I'm working hard on some people too ;-). Although, many people in Europe own a bike, not all of them use it. Most of them just rust away in the cellars..

spiderleggreen said...

Interesting, I heard some statistic that a high percentage of Minnesotan's own a bike. Which gives me 2 thoughts. One is, "why are most of them just sitting in the garage?". The more optimistic thought is, "wow, there is a great potential for rapid change". I think I'll have to write a little blog about how to persuade your friends, family, etc. to start riding. Good luck on your prospects!

MELI. said...

ride on sara!! looking good ;D

The Jolly Crank said...

When I first met my wife, before we were married, she liked that I rode everywhere. Soon she got a bike but just rode occasionally. Then she got a bike that fit her better and rode everyday except when the weather was bad. Now she rides everyday, no matter the weather and wants advice on winter riding! This was all without nagging on my part--just goes to show that being a quiet example does have influence.