Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Minneapolis Chic Before It Was Chic

As I was biking through Loring Park, I had the good fortune to run into a woman who was riding Dutch style bike. They aren't a common sight in my town, yet, so I struck up a conversation with her. Since we were headed in the same direction for a ways, we had a good chance to talk about our bikes.

This is Janet



This a Glorie from Pointer. I didn't ask it's name.


I was surprised to learn that she has had this bike for a few years. Surprised because I'd had assumed that Dutch style bikes in America were a very new thing. Of course my bike awareness is a pretty new thing. I didn't really spend much time looking at other peoples bikes. Maybe other people had the right idea, long before I opened my eyes. Perhaps the world was here before I was born?!

Janet(Check this out!) and her husband had both bought bikes when they were visiting Copenhagen. They stowed them on the plane, saving a boat load of money by doing that. Shipping bikes across the pond is very expensive. Her bike is a Glorie and is made by Pointer. It's a classy bike with a classy owner. It really made my day to see evidence of change in the bike culture, here in Mpls and around the world.

4 comments:

Jen said...

There's only one word that expresses my feelings...awesome!

my hyggelig said...

Hey, I remember seeing that story on the Mpls. site last year. So cool you crossed paths. There's a few of us crazies out there...Awesome.

Dottie said...

Of course, I love her bike :)

2whls3spds said...

Inspirational! and awesome. She needs to have her picture and story on the front page of every national newspaper. I heard the excuse the other day that someone was "too old" to ride a bike, they were for young people! Some people have NO CLUE

Aaron